Friday, November 19, 2010

What are your thoughts about this?

I have a friend who's parents are constantly monitoring her every move. I feel like she's somewhat overprotected too. They make sure she gets the food, clothing, and sleep she needs a day, and they make absolutely sure that she does well in school. when she's studying, they come up to her room every 30 minutes or so to make sure she's actually studying. and then they go over the material with her. That's why she is an exceptional straight-A student. When I went to her house today, her mom was there. We could never have a normal conversation, because her mom was right there, and she literally kept telling us what to say and what not to say. My friend apparently didn't mind, but I certainly did. Because I'm so used to being left alone nearly everyday. My parents certainly don't care even if I were to get like 3 hours of sleep a day. While they do care about my grades and stuff, for the most part, I have to work for my grades by myself. And this is why I'm only an average student. My parents are the opposite of hers...they really don't care much about what I do...which I'm perfectly fine with. I like being independent.



But when I told my mom how annoyed I was by my friend's mom, she felt guilty. My mom felt that she wasn't doing enough. Does she have any reason to feel this way?What are your thoughts about this?
It seems to me that your friend is more like a science project for her parents to work on until they make the perfect robot not an actual daughter. The parents need to let her make her own decisions and be independent because sooner or later she needs to leave that house and make a life for herself, and her parents are not going to be there to make sure if she has payed the bills on time or brushed her teeth. It is not a healthy way to grow up when someone is always watching your every move, and making sure you dont make any mistakes.What are your thoughts about this?
well your friend just has really strict parents. and do you blame them for being concerned with today's society? you could seriously see the weirdest people walking down the street everyday. her parents have every right to monitor her because they might not want her to screw up her life by hanging out with the wrong crowd. my parents are much like that. i mean, they have to know who i'm always with, i have to get straight A's, i have to get enough sleep at night, my room has to always be clean. maybe her parents are a little overprotective, checking up on her every half hour, they should give her some privacy and teach her independence. but then again, that decision is totally up to her parents, and they have a right to raise her the way they believe is best.
Story of my life!

My parents are JUST LIKE your friend's...it can be a tad bit annoying, especially when I've known people for years and my parents are still paranoid about them. I suggest talking to the paretns like ';normal people'; and then inviting your friend over to your house in front of the mom. Subtly mention (loud enough 4 the mom to hear) that one or more of your parents will be there to supervise, even if they won't be. That usually works.

Good luck!
I think the world is getting more and more complicated, the better a start that a kid can get from there parents helping the better there life will be , I wish my mother had been more like your friends mother, I was left to my own devices and now that I look back I thought I knew it all as a teenager but I really didn't
No, like you said, you like being independent. Every parent feels that they should be doing more or that they can be better somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment