Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How often does your toddler cry ?

My son is nearly 23 months old and he chucks tantrums and cries ALL THE TIME.



If he is told that he cannot do something he cries, when he wants something and we don't jump straight away, he cries, if I move a chair because he is climbing on it to open the door, he cries. We went shopping today and because he was tired (but would not sleep mind you) he cracked it and screamed for a good hour, I was totally embarrassed, it was lucky that my friend was with me or I would have really cracked it. I am finding it really hard to deal with his attitude and temper and he hasn't even hit the terrible 2's yet. He also constantly tells me ';No'; when asked to do anything, he looks me straight in the eyes and says no over and over again. I hate taking him out in public for fear that he is going to cause a scene if we don't let him do what he wants to do (walk, play on a ride, pull all the stuff off the shelves etc).



I am not kidding he cries anywhere between 3 and 20 times a day. My family and friends (including my husband) distract him and try to stop him, but I let him go and ignore him. I find that when he cracks it and I ignore him, he stops crying and moves onto something else.



I have really struggled with both my son and my marriage in the last 2 years and people are always trying to jump in and help me out because they know what I am going through at the time of him chucking a tantrum, they try to distract, but I think ignoring works better because he is so strong willed and is really only doing if for attention, it seems that he has been taught that this is the way to get what he wants, should I tell them to just leave him be and ignore him as well ? I left the shopping center in tears this afternoon because I am just at my wits end and to be totally honest, I am sick and tired of his whining all the time.



Is this a normal feeling when you have a strong willed child ? And also, is this normal behavior for a child ? My friends babies don't seem to crack it as much as my son does.How often does your toddler cry ?
My son is much more temperamental then my daughter was, he is 18 months, he throws alot of tantrums throughout the day, he also hits when he is mad or bites, it's a constant battle, but I also know that consistency will pay off and it is the age for testing how far they can get. I agree with ignoring the bad behaviour and acknowledging the good, he is looking for a reaction when he screams and cries, I do know about the embarrassment in public as well, just yesterday I went to Sears and he started yanking clothes off the wall, I pick him up, he starts screaming and swatting me, people are staring, I keep my cool and keep saying 'that's enough, its time to calm down' and I strapped him back in his stroller and picked up the clothes and left the section,lol, went back once he calmed down, at this age I dont think it's all the odd, just keep doing what your doing, when he is a little older you can up the punishment, I would take away toys from my daughter and if she was good for awhile, she got them back, she is 8 now and pretty well behaved, no issuesHow often does your toddler cry ?
hes a baby and hes just testing the limits how far he can push you
I don't know what you do for punishment but my daughter is 24 months and she's NEVER cries and very rarely has a tantrum. Of course I spank. We do not negotiate in my house, there is no distraction, there is no mollification- she must obey our rules. We also don't tell her ';No'; when she's doing something bad...we usually say ';Isis Don't do that';. She hasn't even said NO once yet, that's how often she hears it from us. Kids need to know that there is someone in charge (other than them), it gives them security. Spanking is a last resort but is something that she understands. Why, because timeouts are an abstract concept to kids. Why would they associate YOU ignoring them with THEIR behavior? Maybe when their a little older they could grasp that concept but when they are really young all they know is that you don't see them- you are basically taking your love away from them.



When you're at home and he has a tantrum don't let his will out match yours. Calmly tell him that you love him very much but if he doesn't behave that you're gonna give him a spanking. If he continues then spank him on the butt- you don't need any force it's mainly the sound that you want (since he's in diapers it will work well). Then put him on his bed and tell him he can come out when he stops crying.
you said you are NOT in the terrible twos. well guess what.. YES you are. firstly...you said your son is doing this crying for attention. is he getting enough attention while he is not crying? my son is 18 months and is pretty aggreable, he might cry 2-3 times a day but it's mostly more like whining and he stops in minutes.....



if you think you should tell everybody to ignore him then do so. you are his mother, but just remember that some people like grandparents or people without children or wtv might not be able to handle just letting a kid cry...

good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment