Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with a mean menopausal mother?

Most of my life I've had a good relationship with my mother. Since she's been going through menopause and I've started to develop some independence she has gotten very mean and started acting and saying immature things when she doesn't get her way.

If she asks me to do something for her, like drive her to work or take her shopping and I say ';no'; then it turns into an opportunity for her to be mean and hurtful and pick me apart. She wanted a drive to work today because she didn't have money to take a cab and I didn't drive her to work. Because of that she started talking about what someone my age typically has in their life (kids marriage a house etc), she told me that I should be obliged to drive her to work even though I don't want to and I don't have the right to say no to her. I was going to take her to Cirque de Soleil as part of her mother's day gift and she said she didn't want to go out anywhere anymore with me and wouldn't even be seen at the dump with me (whatever that means). After she calls my Dad and asks him to pick her up and is putting words in my mouth about things I said, which I did not say to her. I was eating my breakfast and she was just going on and on all upset and I didn't respond to her and she said ';Well just keep siting there not saying anything and stuffing your face like a pig';. When I would say something back she would say, ';Don't push me don't push me you'll regret it';.

I feel like my Mom has gone completely pyscho and crazy. I think she's out of her mind that she thinks she can put me down and insult me with hurtful words but thinks it's my right to do whatever she wants when she wants.

The sad part is I live with her and Dad. I know i need to move the hell out but in the meantime what in the world do I do to deal with my crazy mother??How to deal with a mean menopausal mother?
LOL- been there done that!! I feel for you. It does seem like they go a little crazy doesn't it!? Just brace yourself- it doesn't get better for a couple (or more) years. My mom was soooo mean not only to me but my whole family. We knew why so we just tried not to take it personally, which at times can be really difficult! Just remember it's not her saying this, it's her hormones. My mom liked to bring up every little thing I had ever done wrong in my life %26amp; rehash everything. I would just suggest helping her out when you can, before she asks you to %26amp; to just roll with it. It'll get better %26amp; then you'll have your ';old'; mom back! From personal experience try to avoid fighting with her- just agree with her a lot! And whatever you do- don't roll you eyes! I made that mistake once! If she's really insulting you- maybe just trying telling her very simply that what she's saying is mean %26amp; it hurts your feelings- see if that helps. Hang in there- it will get better!!How to deal with a mean menopausal mother?
Now you know what many men go through which often leads to divorce. It's like a light was switched on, or off. Everything done and said over 15 years or so means nothing. It's like you live with a nasty stranger, bent on focusing on you. You can be happy you can get away from her now and then. Men hide at work. This may well be how things go for the next dozen or more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment