Thursday, October 21, 2010

How much of your neighbor's business should be your business?

I just moved to a new neighborhood and I happened to witness some guys breaking into and robbing my neighbor's house. I hadn't met the neighbor who lives in that house though, so I had no idea that they were robbing him. I thought they LIVED there. It just looked like they were loading some stuff in their car and were in a slight rush.

If I had known who lived there I might have known that those guys didn't belong.

Anyway, I have another neighbor (single guy in early 30's who lives alone). A couple of times he has had two young teenage girls sleep over at his house (I gather this from them unloading roll out mattresses from the car, and eating breakfast). They don't apear to be related (different races), but I could be wrong. They don't particularly look related to him either.

So my question is ....

Is this any of my business ... should I be friendly with the neighbor and ask his relationship to the girls ... or ask the girl ... or mind my own business and hope that I am not witnessing another suspicious activity and not doing anything about it.



It's probably nothing.



but what if it wasn't???How much of your neighbor's business should be your business?
Wow..



First off, if you see people rushing around and loading things into a car. Be a good neighbor and call the cops. If they have the owners approval, the cops will find out... You would hope that your neighbors will do the same for you, wouldn't you?



Or better yet, wouldn't you be kinda mad if you found out one of your neighbors sat there and watched out the windows while your place got robbed?



Secondly. Did you check the ID's of your neighbors guests? I am betting not. Don't assume they were doing anything. You want to interfere with a single guy having girls over, but did not call the cops for someone getting robbed.



Find yourself a hobby, or buy thicker curtains.. stop watching your neighbors.How much of your neighbor's business should be your business?
It's usually best to just mind your own business.. especially about the girls staying next door... who cares? The robbery on the other hand should be reported and if the police are already involved you should give a description of what you saw... Otherwise, stay out of your neighbors business....
I think MYOB is probably the best way to go. You would have had no way to know about the robbery, and also you aren't the only person in the neighborhood.



Same with the girls, it does sound suspicious, but on the other hand he seems to be having them over and not hiding a thing....so? Anyway, I'd vote myob for now.
It's hard to make a judgment if you don't know the people. I do understand your concern, however.



There is a fine line between being concerned with what goes on in a neighborhood and being perceived as the nosy neighbor.



I have lived in my neighborhood for 20 years. I am used to what goes on and the neighbors' habits and the hours they keep. When I see something different, I kind of check it out from the corner of my eye, so to speak. You never know. But I don't want to be considered nosy. I just care about what goes on.



My first inclination is to get to know your neighbors first without any suspicions. Just casual and friendly. If they are doing something that is suspicious they probably will not appreciate your friendly overtures too much. I know you want to do right, but I would hesitate in acting in haste.
thank god you are not my neighbor!...
No, but if the girls looked too young to spend the night with him I would have alerted the proper authorities. If any thing looks suspicious... I act and ask questions later. You can always ask that your name be kept secret. You are just a concern citizen.
The robbery should have been reported. Even if you weren't entirely sure that's what it was, a call to the police would have been a good idea. If it had turned out that it was just the neighbors in a rush, I'm sure they would have felt good knowing that they have neighbors who care.



The girls on the other hand, aren't any of your business. That's crossing the line into someone's personal life. Unless you're truly fearful for the safety of the girls, who might just be over 18 and legally able to make their own choices, it's best to stay out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment