Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I resolve the issues that come with moving back with my parents?

So it's been a year in my very first apartment and I loved every minute of it. I was scared at first just like everyone else but once I settled in and got used to it, I learned to love the solitary and independence away from my family.



Unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end and I am forced to move back in with my parents due to the bad economy and the 11% unemployment rate in California. Because of this, I've come to realize a whole slew of issues that I was blind to when moving in, and that is the entire moving out process.



1. WHERE DO I START? How do I give written notice and get a written recommendation? In my building, I have an off-site manager who was the person I signed my contract with and everything, but I don't send my checks to her, but directly to the company. Do I bundle my written notice with my check? Do I send it to the manager? Who do I get a recommendation from?



2. OMG ALL THIS STUFF! There's no way my 2 bedroom apartment is going to fit in my parent's small house which is already over cluttered... what do I do? I think I know what I need to do, but being my first apartment, choosing all my own furniture, knowing how much it all costs, and living with for a year makes everything so hard to part with. Any words of wisdom? Stories of past experiences? Tips on packing?



My suggestion to anyone moving into their first apartment is to get the smallest apartment you can live in. The less stuff you need to buy for your place, the less stuff you need to deal with when moving away either back with parents or to a new place.



This process is daunting and I need some help wrapping my mind around it. My contract says I need to give 30 days notice and I already paid for next month so it looks like I have 2 months to figure this all out. It may seem like 2 months is a long time, but to me, time has been flying so fast, that 2 months feels very very short.



Please help with some wisdom. Thank you.How do I resolve the issues that come with moving back with my parents?
Try to avoid moving back with parents, it will be very hard to leave again. You have 2 bedrooms so get roommates. Then you can keep your stuff. Otherwise you will need to sell your largest things and pack up your smaller things and find a place to keep them. If your parents have space in an attic or garage that would be great. If not maybe grandparents or someone else can keep a few boxes for you. Other wise store them in your closet and under your bed or stacked in the corner of your room to be your night stand. Don't pay for storage if you move home it will be years before you can leave again.



Consider renting a smaller apartment if you can't get roommates. Even a studio would allow you to keep your freedom and most of your stuff.How do I resolve the issues that come with moving back with my parents?
1. It would probably be best to send written notice to both. That way you can make sure that the proper person gets it. You do not need a written recommendation. You put this rental on any future applications with their contact information. It is up to the place you are applying to to get a reference.



2. Your only options are to put it in storage or sell it. You just have to look at which option you can afford.



Are you breaking a lease to move? If so you need to read your lease and see what penalties you will be charged. There is always some kind of penalty for breaking a lease.

No comments:

Post a Comment