Sunday, December 11, 2011

Is it legal for a realtor to cancel your contract?

I just signed with an agent last month after she came to my house every day for two months to get me to list the house with her instead of doing it myself. My father just got cancer and I am not in the right state of mind to have to deal with this so I ask her to come by and we sign a standard contract. She takes off after signing with all my deeds and paperwork, taxes etc., and then disappears for a week. She was sorry she had to see her boyfriend it had been months since they had seen each other. I was a little weirded out but she said she was sorry it won't happen again. The next day we had a meeting and she missed it with no phone call nothing, when she did call 8 hours later she said it was because she had listed our house in all these real estate magazines not to mention MLS. So I was like ok at least she was doing her job but please let me know if you can't make an appointment. Well, long story short? She did miss 3 more. I don't care, I just want to sell my house. She brought no one by the house in 3 weeks so I asked her what is going on with the people she said she had. She said it's hard right now and there are no people interested. I asked her if there is anything I could do to help and she said try and find interested buyers. So. I find 8 different couples aver the web who want to look at the house and tell her. The day of the first couple's visit she was no where to be found, phoned her , e mailed her, even went to her house and still could not find her. The couple that were with me said forget it and left without even looking at the house. I missed a day of work to be there and now I'm Pissed. She

again says she is sorry. Says she'll be there the next time for sure. The next couple came a week later and she knew about it a week in advance, I told her Monday at 12 noon, she says '; I'll be there at 10 so we can make the house presentable.'; I say ';Great!';.

The couple came by 2 hours early because of a problem with their daughter's health. The agent was nowhere to be found, I called her, went to her house and e mailed her again but nothing. This time I was not going to let these people leave without looking at the house, I show it to them and they love it, the house by the way is a small Chateaux in the Laurentian Mountains, very good market and very sellable property. They tell me they want to make an offer and that the offer is my asking price but they need a couple weeks to put the money together. I say no problem I'll tell my agent and have her take care of the details sorry she was not here. Finally, 5 minutes after they leave the agent calls me and ask if we are still on for 12, I tell her she just missed them they came early because of a medical issue with their daughter and the agent gets rude with me saying I am unprofessional to have shown the house without her. I am dumbfounded. I say that first of all she was not there again for our meeting and that the client came early without even calling me, just showed up at 10 am and second of all she was to be here at 10 am anyway so what's the deal? She then tells me it was her turn to cover the office. I ask her why that is when she had known for a week that they were coming and how can you possibly be mad at me?

The arguing escalates because I am PISSED this time for real. I accuse her of being impunctual she loses it and says she is cancelling our contract and takes her sign and drives away. Now the people who wanted the house think something must be wrong with the house for the realtor to just abandon me and they have moved on to another property. I had a contract with her for 5% to sell our house, now she screwed me on the sale and took off.

What am I supposed to do here. Is this a good thing or a bad thing, I just wasted so much time and money doing all this stuff to my house because she told me to.

Help!Is it legal for a realtor to cancel your contract?
I would report her to the Board of Realtors for unethical behavior. Next, I would look for some other houses for sale and talk to the people to see if they are satisfied with their agent. Get your agent to sign a contract release de-obligating both of you from the deal. Then pick three of the agents with the best feedback among the folks you talked to and interview them and hire the one you feel most comfortable with to list your house.Is it legal for a realtor to cancel your contract?
first of all complain to the managing broker about her stupidity. Then hire another agent that wants the listing and get this home sold
Unfortunately, in every profession you can find people who are really good and really bad at their job. This sounds like a case of a really bad agent. I would recommend contacting the broker she works for (if she is not the broker, which it sounds like she is not) and tell them what a horrible experience you had with their agent. You can check back at what exactly was in the contract but it is most likely that you cannot force her to list your house. However, it sounds as though not having her as an agent is probably for the best!
  • excel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment